Sunday, December 9, 2007

Persimmon Butter

Lac and I visited Dad to tell him I was pregnant with Aiden in early December of 2006. The first thing he said when we walked through the door was "I just finished the persimmon butter. Too bad you missed it. It was very good." We hung out for for about 45 minutes before we told him the news. I was so nervous, I couldn't say anything so Lac finally asked him. "Do you like buns?" "I'm trying to keep away from carbs" Dad replied. "Well, we have a bun in the oven" Lac said. First Dad gave us huge bear hugs. Then he said, "I'll make you some persimmon butter".

Persimmon Butter

Several large Fuyu persimmons

1. Peel (a potato peeler works well) several large Fuyu (the roundish non-astringent ones) persimmons
2. Cut into eighths and put into a large stock pot
3. Add enough water to cover the persimmons
4. Cook over medium heat until the persimmons are easily penetrated by a fork then mash with a potato masher
5. Cool and enjoy

Variations
-use orange juice instead of water.
-season with cinnamon to taste

Dad notes: I have heard that the astringent ones loose their astringency when they are cooked, but I have no experience with them.

No comments: