Sunday, July 13, 2008
Easy Grill Menu
Lac and I made this dinner menu for friends Barbara and Alvin this weekend and loved how it turned out. Everything went together really well and with both of us pitching in the whole thing was effortless.
* Wild Salmon marinated in Maizine's spicy Goan Masala and Grilled on a plank. We used the same masala to marinate tofu slabs for me (also grilled).
* Corn grilled without husks. After grilling, corn was brushed with lime juice, chili power mixture.
* Green salad with cherry tomatoes, shredded carrot and shaved aged Gouda (optional)
* Quinoa Salad with Grilled Zucchini (recipe below from Bon Apetit - August 08 with some very minor mods)
Quinoa with Grilled Zucchini, Garbanzo Beans and Cumin
1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans, rinsed
3 Tbs lemon juice
5 Tbs olive oil, divided
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric, divided
1 tsp smoked paprika, divided
2 cups water
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 tsp coarse salt
4 zucchini, quartered lengthwise
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
4 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
1. In a large bowl, marinate garbanzo beans in lemon juice, 3 Tbs olive oil, and garlic for at least 15 min and no more than 2 hours. Toss occasionally.
2. Heat 1 Tbs olive oil in medium pan over medium high heat. Add cumin, 1/2 tsp turmeric and 1/2 tsp smoked paprika and cook 1 min stirring constantly. Add water, quinoa and salt. Bring to boil.
3. Boil quinoa for 5 minutes, cover, turn off heat and let sit at least 10 minutes. All water should be evaporated. When finished, toss with garbanzo beans.
4. Meanwhile, drizzle zucchini with 1 Tbs olive oil and toss with ground cumin, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
5. Put zucchini on grill until tender and browned on all sides (10-12 minutes). Let cool slightly and cut into 1/2 inch pieces and toss with quinoa mixture. Add green onions and parsley before serving. Taste for salt/pepper.